Thursday, January 6, 2011

(Not) Waiting On the World to Change

Having Tourette's has the same effect on my life as dropping food coloring into a glass of water; it permeates every aspect of things. Not that I necessarily mind, in fact I still consider myself blessed to have TS. I'll have to go into that another time though.

I mention this because of something a friend asked the other day- "but being a Christian helps with that right?" My initial thought was "yes, of course" but as I considered the situation the rest of the night, I realized there's more to it. As difficult as it can be to accept sometimes, my faith does not always make things feel alright. In fact, very often I find myself frustrated because things should be easier as a Christian, right?

My faith does not make my present troubles diminish; however, it gives me hope for the future.

I know all these thoughts are fairly scattered but bear with me for a minute. David Crowder's lyrics ring in my head on this subject;

All is lost
find Him there, find Him there
After night
Dawn is there, dawn is there
After all falls apart
He repairs, He repairs

God does not step down and whisk away pain simply because we have faith in Him. Rather, we can eagerly await His coming to repair what is seemingly impossible to fix. When my tics are bad, or when depression has a tight grip on my thoughts, I don't see God stepping in and taking everything away to make my life better. What I do see is that He is faithful and is already preparing a place for me with Him in eternity. That thought is infinitely more comforting than if He would just take away my troubles.

If I were asked that question again, I would still answer yes but would have to explain. My faith "helps with stuff" because I know that anything I deal with is 1. within God's omnipotent grasp, and 2. part of His plan to bring redemption to a fallen race.

God isn't waiting for our world to change; He sent redemption as a man and now works actively to draw us to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment