Thursday, May 26, 2011

Your Martini Tastes Like Gasoline Pt. 2

I've written about this before, but in the last few days I've had a few new thoughts on the subject- food. Last time I talked about food, it was about how nice it was of God to make the taste appealing, instead of simply making eating an insipid daily necessity. With a little inspiration from the last couple weeks' sermons at my church, I realized that there's more to it than that. Food, in my eyes, has gone from something enjoyable to another opportunity to praise God.

Our pastor has been speaking on Romans 14- Paul's commands for the weak and strong in faith to stop condemning each other for their cockamamie differences. While not quite the main point, one thing that stood out to me was the demand to glorify God with whatever you might be doing. Whether it's abstaining from alcohol or enjoying a glass of wine, they're both sinful if not done with a fully persuaded conscience and the intent to praise God with the action. In short, if I eat a sandwich, I can not only enjoy the taste of it but I should also be lifting up God's name.

At this point I ran into a small roadblock. How the heck am I supposed to do that? It's simple enough to worship in song or prayer, or perhaps by tithing or helping out someone in need, but eating? Drinking? Tying my shoes?

Here's a starting point, and I have to confess that I haven't gotten much farther than that. In doing those things, acknowledge God's quality that relates to it. When I take a bite of a burger, I can remember that God provides life. When I wash my face I can confess that Christ has truly cleansed our sinful nature to stand blameless in heaven before the Father. When I buckle my seat belt, I can thank Him for protecting me from impure thoughts throughout the day.

Simple things like these can turn into constant reminders of God's infinite presence and even His persona. They become necessary windows of worship in lives that are so busy that focusing on Him becomes difficult. How can you glorify God through the routine actions in your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment